Churches are an essential part of overcoming social injustice and stand at the heart of the movement to defend life from conception to natural death.
As such, we would like to see all our parishes represented at the Roe Memorial Events on January 16, 2016. Below is a list of ideas churches can do in conjunction with or in addition to attending the Roe Memorial.
Please take these ideas to your Pastor and make them happen in your church:
1) Make an announcement (bilingual sample available here) and post or pass out flyers about the local events – allow your Parish Pro-Life Coordinator or other person at the church to make an announcement after Mass in the weeks before the January 16 events.
2) Host a “Respect Life Education Night’ where a guest speaker updates church members on the status of Roe and what the future holds. Contact for additional information about available speakers.
3) Include a Respect Life Petition at every Mass – as it says in the U.S. Bishops' Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities, “parishes should include in the petitions at every Mass a prayer that ours will become a nation that respects and protects all human life, born and unborn, reflecting a true culture of life." Sample petitions available here.
4) Host an all-night vigil on Friday, January 15th – the Mass for Life and all-night vigil is held in Washington, DC every year and parishes are encouraged to conduct similar prayer vigils so that those unable to travel might participate in this prayer occasion, an act of true solidarity.
6) Designate January 22 as a day of penance as indicated in the Roman Missal. Please observe this day in your church in a manner consistent with the solemnity of the cause.
7) Arrange for a bus or other transportation – to bring the people from your church community to downtown Dallas on Saturday, January 16th.
For questions or more information, please call Susan Platt at 214-392-7545 or email .