Unborn baby's feet at 10 weeks
Unborn baby at 8 weeks
- Day 1 - conception takes place.
- Day 7 - tiny human implants in mother’s uterus.
- Day 10 - mother’s menses stop.
- Day 18 - heart begins to beat.
- Day 21 - pumps own blood through separate closed circulatory system with own blood type.
- Day 28 - eye, ear and respiratory system begin to form.
- Day 42 - brain waves recorded, skeleton complete, reflexes present.
- Week 7 - photo of thumbsucking.
- Week 8 - all body systems present.
- Week 9 - squints, swallows, moves tongue, makes fist.
- Week 11 - spontaneous breathing movements, has fingernails, all body systems working.
- Week 12 - weighs one ounce.
- Week 16 - genital organs clearly differentiated, grasps with hands, swims, kicks, turns, somersaults, (still not felt by the mother.)
- Week 18 - vocal cords work – can cry.
- Week 20 - has hair on head, weighs one pound, 12 inches long.
- Week 21 - youngest child to survive outside womb after premature birth
- Week 23 - 17% chance of viability outside of womb if birth premature.*
- Week 24 - 39% of babies survive premature birth.*
- Week 25 - 50% of babies survive premature birth.*
(*Source: Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation, 2007)
Facts of Fetal Development
Pictures of developing babies at different stages of gestation.
Gravity Teen Fetal Development Page
Photos and commentary on growth and fetal development from conception through birth.
Fetal Development Movie Theater
Videos following the growth and fetal development from conception through birth.