VOTE for life
We as Catholics are called to participate as faithful citizens in elections. For resources in preparation for voting, visit the Faithful Citizenship website (faithfulcitizenship.org) sponsored by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Resources to Prepare to Vote Prayers for Our Nation
"There are some things we must never do, as individuals or as a society, because they are always incompatible with love of God and neighbor. Such actions are so deeply flawed that they are always opposed to the authentic good of persons. These are called ‘intrinsically evil' actions. They must always be rejected and opposed and must never be supported or condoned. A prime example is the intentional taking of innocent human life, as in abortion and euthanasia. In our nation, ‘abortion and euthanasia have become preeminent threats to human dignity because they directly attack life itself, the most fundamental human good and the condition for all others' (Living the Gospel of Life, no. 5). It is a mistake with grave moral consequences to treat the destruction of innocent human life merely as a matter of individual choice. A legal system that violates the basic right to life on the grounds of choice is fundamentally flawed."
- Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship (22)
"Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one's country:
Pay to all of them their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.
[Christians] reside in their own nations, but as resident aliens. They participate in all things as citizens and endure all things as foreigners. . . . They obey the established laws and their way of life surpasses the laws. . . . So noble is the position to which God has assigned them that they are not allowed to desert it.
The Apostle exhorts us to offer prayers and thanksgiving for kings and all who exercise authority, 'that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way.'"
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (2240)
- Prayer Before an Election
- Prayer After an Election
- Prayer for Protection of Religious Liberty
- Praying Life a Faithful Citizen
- Novena for Faithful Citizenship
- Novena for Life & Liberty (Spanish)
- Litany for Liberty
Schedule a Presentation
The Catholic Pro-Life Community provides bilingual Faithful Citizenship presentations to parishes in the Diocese of Dallas upon request. If you are outside the diocese, we are happy to provide you a template for these presentations.
If you are interested in having a speaker present at your parish email or call , 972-267-LIFE (5433).
Resources and Helpful Links
- faithfulcitizenship.org – Forming Conscience for Faithful Citizenship, A Call to Political Responsibility from the Catholic Bishops of the United States
- usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities – Prime resource for U.S. Bishops’ pro-life policy and teaching statements
- txcatholic.org – Texas Catholic Conference, the official public policy voice of the Texas Bishops
- The White House – Website of the U.S. President
- U. S. Senate
- U.S. House of Representatives
- Office of the Texas Governor
- Texas State Senate
- Texas House of Representatives
- Who Represents Me – Find who represents you in the Texas and U.S. Government and how to contact them
- votexas.org – Texas voter information provided by the office of the Texas Secretary of State
- nchla.org – In coordination with the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, NCHLA provides educational and program resources, facilitates communications with government representatives and leaders, and presents legislative seminars.
- endroe.org – Project of NCHLA, conducted in collaboration with legal experts, to accurately present what the U.S. Supreme Court said and did in Roe v. Wade, Doe v. Bolton and related cases, and to explain why Roe and Doe are fundamentally erroneous decisions.
- secondlookproject.org – Media campaign of the U.S. Bishops presenting basic facts concerning abortion.
- feministsforlife.org – Research and articles regarding the travesty of linking abortion to women’s rights.
- prolifedallas.org/education – Online resources on life issues provided by the Catholic Pro-Life Community, the Respect Life Ministry of the Diocese of Dallas.